Monday, May 19, 2014

24 weeks + mother's day 0.5 + an inappropriate sonographer

so this was a pretty okay week. we started sunday going to our friends' daughter's 1 year birthday party at a restaurant. i, of course, had to be wheeled around and stay in my seat once we got to our table. though i was glad to have seen everyone, it sucked that i couldn't walk around to talk to as many people as i wanted to.

later that night, i was touched and happy to have celebrated my "first" Mother's day. i didn't think it really counted cause the twins aren't born yet. but, my families (mine and mark's) all thought it counted. they sent me cards and gave me small but very meaningful gifts. i was so touched and felt so loved that i cried... a lot. because of the bed rest, we decided to just order food and eat and celebrate with mark's family here at our house. it was nice and simple and quiet. the best part was our nephew greeting us all a happy mother's day!

mid-week, mark and i had lunch with a friend of ours that's also pregnant with her first, a boy. we got to swap some pregnancy stories here and there. then we got to stories about what her husband is and isn't doing to help her during her pregnancy. let's just say, i'm ever so blessed and thankful for mark and all that he has done for us and for me especially to make this pregnancy go as smoothly and stress-free as possible.

thursday, we had another appointment with dr. matia - i have to see her every week now. i thought everything was going to be pretty routine - check my cervix length, check the babies, check out. well it wasn't. we waited in the waiting room and got called in by a sonographer that we hadn't seen before. she seemed okay at first. then she was just plain rude and mean and had the crappiest bedside manner i had ever experienced. she mentioned several times as to how hungry she was and how it's lunch time for her. because of this, she rushed through all the scanning and this irritated the living hell out of me. i understand that she was hungry, but that doesn't give her the right to rush through a patient's appointment and scans. she has a job to do and if she can't do it right, she needs to get someone else to do it. she commented about how it was nice that my feet and ankles weren't swollen like most other pregnant women and i said it's probably because of the compression socks that i had been wearing. she asked where i had gotten the idea and i said i googled it and then asked my obgyn about it to make sure. she responded with something along the lines of "you shouldn't google things to get medical advice." did she not hear about the part where i asked my obgyn if it was okay? ugh!

later, when the scanning was over, she again commented on how i have no stretch marks on my belly yet and how nice that must be. i again said that i googled something about stretch marks and she snapped at me and told me, "you need to stop googling things and ask your doctor with the medical degree!" it took a hell of a lot of restraint for me to not get up and punch her. i was so extremely mad! after entering whatever she had to on the report she just up and left me with all the now-cold sonogram gel all over my belly and cold vaginal ultrasound gel (for the cervix check) all over my vagina and didn't even bother to hand me any papertowels to wipe any of it off or put my underwear back on. it wasn't until 10 minutes later when dr. matia walked in that i was given papertowels to take it all off and put my underwear back on. unfortunately, i was so concerned with the results of the sonograms that i forgot to tell dr. matia how upset i had gotten with that horrible sonographer. i fully plan to make sure that she will never ever do any of my examinations ever again.

anyways... the twins and i are all doing okay. my cervix hadn't gotten shorter and the twins were doing well. reagan is finally catching up to lincoln's weight and they are measuring at good sizes. there is still the concern about lincoln's little heart, but dr. matia said his heartbeat is nice and strong and well within the normal range. thank you God.

other than all those things, the rest of the week was nice and uneventful. i stayed in bed for the rest of the weekend while the twins went crazy in my uterus and mark worked on one of our cars.

hope everyone else's week was less chaotic than ours!

2 comments:

  1. Happy Preggo Mother's Day! Can't believe you are at 6 months already. Seems like you just told us at CNY dinner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks jen! time has gone by so much faster than i thought it would!

      Delete